Results for: I am a Caregiver

Credits, Rebates

Primary Caregiver Tax Credit This tax credit recognizes the vital support caregivers provide to those needing care. For this tax credit, people requiring care must be assessed at Level 2 or higher under the Manitoba Home Care Program guidelines. Assessments are based on the amount and type of care required for tasks like bathing, dressing, eating meals, mobility and receiving medical care. To qualify for the tax credit, care must last for a period of 90 days or more.

Family Supports

Children's disABILITY Services Provides support to families to care for children who have physical and/or mental disabilities. Family supports include: counseling; information and referral; respite care; child development services; autism services; therapy services; supplies and equipment; home modifications; transportation; training.
Community Living disABILITY Services Provides a range of support services for Manitobans living with an intellectual disability and their families. The program supports eligible adults to live safely and participate fully in the community. Services are co-ordinated through community service workers and are planned on a person-centred basis to meet the unique needs of each individual. Supports and services are available through regional offices located throughout the province.

Health Care

Coronavirus Information on the Coronavirus includes current risk status, symptoms, causes, treatment, prevention and other additional resources.
Eligible Drugs covered under Pharmacare The Manitoba Drug Benefits and Interchangeability Formulary is a list of therapeutically effective drugs that have been approved as eligible benefits under the Pharmacare drug benefit program. It also includes a list of interchangeable drugs. Updates to the Manitoba Formulary are made available every three to four months by bulletin. Copies of the Manitoba Formulary are available on the website.
Health Care Directive You have the right to decide in advance what kind of care you do and do not want to receive, should you become unable to speak for yourself. It's important to tell your doctor or health professional who you want to make these decisions for you. You should also write a health care directive or living will to speak for you. Forms can be requested through the office below, or downloaded online.
Home Care Home Care Services in Manitoba provide home support to individuals, regardless of age, who require health services or assistance with activities of daily living. Home Care works with individuals and provides assistance to help them stay in their homes for as long as is safely possible.
Insured Benefits All insured residents of Manitoba are covered by the Insured Benefits Program (health insurance plan) administered by Manitoba Health. Benefits include the following: hospital coverage at the standard ward level; medical services, including visits to doctors' offices, house calls and doctors' services in hospitals; certain prosthetic and orthotic devices; care in personal care homes; a provincial drug program; senior's eyeglass program.
Mental Health and Addictions This site provides a general overview of the available mental health services in Manitoba, from both the formal medical system, as well as non-profit community mental health agencies.
My Right Care Where should you go when you are sick or injured? is designed to help Winnipeggers choose the right care option so they can get the right treatment, faster.
Personal Care Home placement A personal care home may be the appropriate care setting when: you can no longer remain safely at home even with home care services; and the services you need can be provided more effectively, safely and economically in a personal care home. The application form for personal care home admission is provided by your case co-coordinator and is signed by you. The form includes medical, nursing and other information about you. Once completed, the application is reviewed to decide whether you are eligible for admission to a personal care home. There may be a waiting period before you are admitted to the personal care home. During this time, home care services may be provided to you as necessary.
Pharmacare Pharmacare is a drug benefit program for all Manitobans whose income is seriously affected by high prescription drug costs. Pharmacare coverage is based on total family income and the amount you pay for eligible prescription drugs. Each year you are required to pay a portion of the cost of your eligible prescription drugs, referred to as your Pharmacare deductible. This deductible is based on your total family income. There are 2 methods of applying to the Pharmacare Program: either through a one-time enrolment process or annually. Manitobans who selected the one-time enrolment process are no longer required to annually submit a Pharmacare Application.
Pharmacare Deductible Installment Payment Program If your drug costs are high in relation to your income, you can pay your Pharmacare deductible in monthly installments. Participants in the Deductible Installment Payment Program for Pharmacare pay their deductible as an additional amount on their monthly Manitoba Hydro bill.
Protection for Persons in Care The Protection for Persons in Care Act is an extra safeguard built into Manitoba's health care system. This law is to help protect adults from abuse while receiving care in personal care homes, hospitals or any other designated health facility. The Act requires that a service provider or other person who has a reasonable basis to believe that a patient is, or is likely to be, abused shall promptly report the belief, and the information to this office.
Public Health Nursing Public health nursing services are available throughout Manitoba to all individuals, families and groups. The program focuses on health promotion and the prevention of disease and injuries. Services include: assessment of health needs; health teaching and counseling; immunizations; referrals; advocacy. Public health nurses provide services in a variety of settings such as homes, community clinics and community centres.
Regional Health Authorities (RHA) Regional Health Authorities are health boards responsible for the delivery of health care services to Manitobans. They provide a reorganized, sustainable health system that balances health promotion, disease prevention, and institutional and community-based services
Residential Charges at personal care homes The cost of personal care home services is shared by the provincial government and the client who needs the services. The government pays the majority of the cost through the Regional Health Authorities and the client pays a residential charge. The residential charge paid by a client is based on income. The rate structure ensures that all clients have a reasonable amount of spending money for personal expenses after paying the residential charge. The initial charge assessed for each client is the maximum daily rate. You may apply for a reduction to the maximum rate by completing a Tax Information Release Form, or by completing an Application for Reduced Residential Charges and providing a copy of your Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment from the previous year. Facility staff will give you the correct form(s).

Law, Justice & Citizens' Rights

Chief Medical Examiner Investigates all unexpected, unexplained and violent deaths in Manitoba.
Health Care Directive You have the right to decide in advance what kind of care you do and do not want to receive, should you become unable to speak for yourself. It's important to tell your doctor or health professional who you want to make these decisions for you. You should also write a health care directive or living will to speak for you. Forms can be requested through the office below, or downloaded online.
Public Guardian and Trustee Provides trustee services for a fee to the people of Manitoba in situations where no one else is capable or willing to do so. The Public Guardian and Trustee provides the following types of trustee services: making personal decisions for estates and people who are not mentally capable of doing so; administering the estates of mentally competent people who have granted a Power of Attorney to The Public Guardian and Trustee; administering the estates of people who have died in Manitoba with no one else capable or willing to act as administrator; managing trust monies for people under 18 years of age and some adult trusts.
Vulnerable Persons Commissioner Just like other Manitobans, vulnerable persons living with a mental disability have the right to make choices and decisions about their lives. In order to assist in this decision-making process, the Office of the Vulnerable Persons Commissioner can appoint a substitute decision maker to aid a vulnerable person who is incapable of making his or her own decisions.