Coat of Arms

Coat of Arms

The coat of arms was granted to Manitoba by King Edward VII on May 10, 1905. It was augmented on October 23, 1992 by Governor General Ramon Hnatyshyn to include a crest, supporters and motto. The 1905 shield is at its centre and features a buffalo standing on a rock with the Cross of St. George. Above are a gold helmet, red and silver mantlings, a beaver holding a prairie crocus, and finally a crown. A unicorn and a white horse support the left and right sides. Other elements that symbolize Manitoba's past include maple leaves, the wheel of a Red River cart, and Aboriginal bead and bone decorations. The shield and supporters rest on a base representing a diverse landscape, with a banner below bearing the Latin version of the provincial motto, "Gloriosus et liber."

The Coat of Arms, Emblems and the Manitoba Tartan Act: http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/c150e.php

Contact Information

Communications Services Manitoba, Sport, Culture and Heritage
10th Floor, 155 Carlton St
Winnipeg , Manitoba R3C 3H8
View Map

T: 204-945-3765
F: 204-948-2219